- Tournament Format
In all Divisions, groups and the number of teams within groups will be determined after registration closes. All teams will be scheduled to play a minimum of 3 games. Typically group winners will advance directly to a final championship game. There will be NO OVERTIME in group-play. The advancement and resolution of ties will be handled in accordance with Sections 8 and 9 below.
- 3-Team Brackets – A single group of three teams will be scheduled to play each opponent on Saturday with top two teams by points to play in a final on Sunday.
- 4-Team Brackets – A single group of four teams will be scheduled three matches in a round robin format. The two teams with the most points will advance to the championship game.
- 5-Team Brackets – A single group of five teams will be scheduled four matches in a round robin format. The two teams with the most points at the end of the round robin will be declared Champion and Finalist.
- 6-Team Brackets – Teams will be divided into two 3-team groups with each team scheduled to play two matches within its group on Saturday. Sunday will be a cross over match for their third game. A1 vs B2 and B1 vs A2. The winner of these two games will advance to the championship game. A3 vs B3 for 3rd game
- 8-Team Brackets – Teams will be divided into two 4-team groups with each team scheduled to play three matches within its group. The top team with the most points in each group will advance to the championship game
All players are born in the year of their age group classification, or in a later group. Teams must be properly registered and in good standing with their state, national and regional associations. Each player shall possess a valid pass from his or her nationalassociation and a medical release form. For this tournament, the age classifications are as listed on GSSA website for the 2019/2020 seasonalyear.
All guest players additionally must meet the following criteria:
- Must be registered and possess a valid USYSA player pass.
- May not play on more than one team entered in the tournament
- Must be identified on the tournament roster.
- Teams are allowed at most four (4) guest players.
- Out of State Teams/Players require their States Travel Permit.
- All non USYS Soccer Teams must have 1) roster stamp and approved by their Associations Director’s office 2) provide phone number for verification purposes 3) Have a birth certificate presented to tournament director prior to first game at tourney
- Pre-game Procedure
Prior to the game beginning:
- Team check in using Player passes & Game Day roster. Each team will provide a copy of the game card to the referees. No roster or pass = NO PLAY
- Player equipment will be checked and approved by the referee.
- A player who arrives at the playing field after the pre-game procedure may not enter the game until after being checked in by the referee or assistant referee.
- Laws of the Game
All matches will be played in accordance with the Laws of the Game observed by Georgia Youth Soccer, USYS and FIFA, except as specifically superseded by the following rules.
Law II – Ball Size – U8-U12 shall use a size 4 ball, U13 & above shall use a size 5 ball.
Law III –Substitute players must enter the field at the midfield line. Players leaving the match may exit by the closest touchline or goal line. Unlimited substitutions may be made with the consent of the center referee at the following times:
- Prior to a throw-in (team in possession only)
- Prior to a goal kick by either team
- After a goal by either team
- Half time.
- For a cautioned player at the time the caution is given.
- For an injured player. There can be unlimited substitutions from either team (with the referee's acknowledgement).
- NO substitutions may be made for a player that is sent off (red card infraction) for the remainder of the match.
Law IV – Player Equipment - All equipment must conform to the following rules:
- Shin guards are required and are to be worn by all players during all warm-ups and matches. Shin guards must be entirely covered by the socks.
- Screw-in studs are allowed per referee approval.
- In the event that teams' jerseys are the same or similar color, the home team (listed first on the schedule) will change color. The referee will be final authority regarding the need to change.
- The goalkeeper's shirt must be easily distinguishable from all other players and from the referee. Goalkeepers may wear practice bibs in lieu of a jersey.
- No jewelry of any kind may be worn.
- A player wearing an orthopedic HARD cast shall not be eligible to participate in any game. An orthopedic “brace” may be allowed. Any exposed metal must be wrapped.
- The designated home team shall provide the game ball.
Law V – Referees – The referee shall complete the game report and submit to the Site Coordinator or the Field Marshall.
In the event that the assigned referee fails to appear, the senior assistant referee assigned shall become the referee. In the event that the referee and assistant referees fail to appear, the Site Coordinator or the Field Marshall, together with the coaches of the two teams, must find acceptable alternates. The game will be played as scheduled and will be deemed official. If any of the assigned officials fail to appear 15 minutes prior to game time, the Site Coordinator shall notify the Referee Assignor immediately.
Law VI – Assistant Referees – In the event an assigned assistant referee fails to appear, the referee will ask a team to provide a CLUB LINESMAN. The game will be played as scheduled and will be deemed official.
Law VII – Duration of the Game - The duration of each match is indicated below. Two equal halves will be played with a MAXIMUM five-minute half-time interval. Matches may be shortened or canceled at the discretion of the Tournament Director in the event of any unforeseen problems.
Semi & Finals
CONTINOUS RUNNING CLOCK. The Tournament does not require the referees to add time for substitutions or injuries. The referee can add for “Intentional delay of game” by either team. There will be a mandatory water break during each half with the clock running that should last no longer than two minutes if the temperature during the game exceeds 85 degrees. Substitutions are allowed at this time.
All players, managers, coaches and fans are expected to conduct themselves appropriately with respect to the “Laws of the Game”. The Site Coordinators have the authority and responsibility to remove anyone from the tournament for abuses of good conduct.
Any player sent off from a match will not be replaced and will not be allowed to participate in the team's next match. Players sent off for fighting will result in an automatic 2 game suspension. Any coach ejected from a match for referee abuse will result in an automatic two game suspension. Each coach is responsible for the conduct of the players and parents on his/her team. Coaches not taking responsibility for their sidelines' conduct will be warned and/or ejected.
Coaches or spectators ejected must leave the playing area and not be within “sight or sound” of the field. In accordance with FIFA rules, only players will be shown a card when being cautioned or sent off.
Depending on the severity of the unacceptable conduct, the Tournament Director may suspend the offending manager/player/coach for the duration of the tournament and/or recommend further disciplinary action by the appropriate controlling organization. If an individual is coaching more than one team, any suspension shall be applicable to the age group in which the infraction occurred.
All players and coaches will take one side of the field, and spectators will take the other side. No one will be allowed behind either goal.
NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, TOBACCO PRODUCTS OR PETS ARE PERMITTED AT COMPETITION SITE.
ARTIFICIAL NOISE-MAKING DEVICES ARE ILLEGAL.
- Post Game Procedure
Please observe the following at the conclusion of each game:
- Coaches/Managers of both teams shall ensure that their sideline area is clean and that all trash has been placed in containers.
- Teams will immediately vacate the team bench area. Conduct your post game team meetings somewhere else.
- Referees will have each team sign the game card and confirm score after each match.
- Referee will then then submit game card to the Site Coordinator or Field Marshall immediately following the game.
- Point System
Each team will be awarded points as follows:
- Win: 3 points
- Tie: 1 point
- Loss: 0 points
- Preliminary Rounds Tie Breaking Procedures
Preliminary matches tied at the end of regulation time will remain tied. At the end of the preliminary rounds, the group winner shall be the team with the most points in their group. In the event of a tie within a group, the following criteria shall be used to determine the winner:
- Head-to-head competition (except when three teams are tied, in which case, proceed to the next tiebreaker.
- Goal differential (GF minus GA with a maximum of +4 or -4 per match.)
- Least number of goals allowed.
- Most goals scored (maximum of 4 goals per game).
- FIFA Penalty Kicks from the Mark.
- Tie Breaking Procedures in Semi-Final Rounds and Final Matches
In the event a semi- final or final match is tied after regulation time, the following procedures will be observed:
- FIFA penalty kicks will be taken to determine a winner.
- Forfeited Games
The following procedures shall be observed regarding forfeitures:
- A forfeit shall be awarded if a team is not present and prepared to play within five minutes of the scheduled start time.
- A minimum number of 5 players for 7v7, 7 players for 9v9 and 7 players for 11v11 constitutes a team. If a minimum number of players are present, the game will not be delayed.
- Any team walking off the field of play before the conclusion of the match is automatically declared the loser by a 4-0 score.
- When the situation causing abandonment is such that the referee and tournament officials cannot assign responsibility, both teams shall forfeit with no goals scored and a double forfeit declared with a score of 0-0.
- Any team forfeiting a match cannot advance to the semi-final or final match.
Absolutely NO protests are allowed.
- Team Contact
Each team, upon checking in at registration, must provide the following information so that each team may be contacted in the event that circumstances require it:
- The hotel where the team is staying
- The cell phone number of the team head coach and team manager.
Please be sure your team contact is someone who can be reached at any hour.
- All judgment decisions of the referee are final and binding.
- Tournament Committee reserves the right to decide on all matters pertaining to the tournament and its judgment is final.
- Awards for the top two teams (Champions and Finalist) shall be awarded immediately following the championship match.
- Inclement Weather
Regardless of weather conditions, coaches and their teams must appear at the respective venue ready to play as scheduled. Failure to appear will result in a forfeit of the match.
Only the Tournament Director may cancel or postpone a match. In case of severe weather, the Tournament Director, in his discretion, may cancel any and all matches. In the event of severe weather that occurs after the beginning of play, the Site Coordinators or Tournament Director may reduce the length of the match and may discontinue or cancel the match. Should a match be terminated due to weather conditions after the first half is completed, the match will be considered official and the score at the time will stand. Referees and Site Coordinators will not consider beginning or continuing matches when a lightning storm exists. The Tournament Director reserves the right to make the following changes in the event of inclement weather:
- Relocate and/or reschedule a match
- Change division structure
- Reduce scheduled duration of match
- Cancel a match
- Use Penalty Kicks from the mark to determine a winner
- The Tournament Committee, and all sponsors and organizers, will not be responsible for any expenses incurred by any team or club.
15.Credits and refunds
- No cash refunds will be issued once a team is accepted to the tourney. Your team will receive a 60% credit towards a future Atlanta Summer Classic tourney within next 12 months as long as the roster is 50% of the original tourney roster.
- If the tournament is canceled due to inclement weather or other “Acts of God” and “zero” games were played or PK’s taken, your team will receive a 40% credit towards a future Atlanta Summer Classic tourney within next 12 months as long as the roster is 50% of the original tourney roster.
- If the tournament is canceled due to inclement weather or other “Acts of God” and “one” game was played or PK’s taken, your team will receive a 25% credit towards a future Atlanta Summer Classic tourney within next 12 months as long as the roster is 50% of the original tourney roster.
Tournament Director: Bill Rucker
Committee Members: Mark MacKain, Bruno Kalonji
Referee Assignor: Joe Todd